Favorite Memory at Texas State

Favorite Memory at Texas State
            During the summer of 2013 I was accepted to Texas State University-San Marcos. I had lived in south Texas my entire life and I was nervous about the transition. I worked a job from May to July in order to have money set aside during my fall semester. This job had employed people who reminded me that I needed to get out of south Texas. The culture in the workplace and in the Rio Grande Valley overall seemed to be in a bubble, and lacked depth and open-mindedness. I began to look forward to this transition as the summer dragged along.
            August 17, 2013, move in day. I hit the road with my family at 5:30 a.m. We arrived to San Marcos at 11 a.m., and parked in the parking lot nearest the university’s basketball complex. I stood in line with for 45 minutes my mother to pick up my dorm key. After getting my key we drove straight to Tower Hall, an older dorm hall on campus. We parked as close as we could and began the long hour that was move in. After we got all my things out of the car, my family and I shared a silence. This was special to me because I knew that it was going to be a while before I would see them again, but was thankful that they could be here to send me off. My mother hugged me first and then my siblings after. They told me they loved me and were proud of me, and then I walked them back to the car to say goodbye. It was a beautiful moment when they drove off, because I loved them and they supported me enough to let me go. 
            I went back up to my dorm and sat in silence, and for the first time in my life everything didn’t seem predictable. There was an endless amount of opportunities and adventures that awaited me, and I was excited. Move in day set all these things in motion, so it is a memory I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Week #1: Kevin Schulte - Expertise Prompt

Blog 2 (posted on drop box on 7/22)

Blog #2