Most Cherished Texas State Memory


Kevin Schulte

“What memory from my days at Texas State will I cherish for the rest of my life?”

I will always cherish walking under the tree canopy that takes you to Old Main. It's simple I know, but it's the truth. Yes, I will also cherish the students and professors I've met along the way, but to me, that walk is more than just a way to class. 

I never finished college after high school, and as I got older, I regretted that decision. That’s why when I’m asked why I returned to school I can sum it up with one word: regret. I left the security of a career to return to school. With the backing of my wife, ‘we’ took the risk.

I spent three years at A.C.C. before transferring to Texas State. While I enjoyed my time there, it doesn’t have the feel of a traditional campus like Texas State does. Sometimes I had a class at the A.C.C. campus in Round Rock with my next class at the South Austin campus. Again, touching on simplicity, I love that I can park my car in one place and walk to all of my classes at Texas State, which makes the walk to Old Main that much more appreciated and precious. 


Yes, the quad can be a bit hectic at times, but if you keep walking to the east, the trees will welcome you with open arms. I know a lot of steps await you, along with a statue of L.B.J. that is way to short, but I promise the view at the top is magnificent. For me, that walk will soon be the walk of a college graduate. That walk is a dream come true. That walk is a second chance. That walk changes the rest of my life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Week #1: Kevin Schulte - Expertise Prompt

Blog 2 (posted on drop box on 7/22)

Blog #2