Personal hobby: What have you collected for a long time?


Kevin Schulte

Honestly, I don’t collect anything, unless you count music, which I’m going to. I used to collect music in the form of records, cassettes and CDs. You know, during that era when we just learned how to make fire, and we were painting on cave walls. Yeh, I’m old I get it.

When I was a teenager, records were replaced with cassettes. Then cassettes were replaced for CD’s, which were replaced for streaming and downloads. In the end, it forced me to buy the same crap over and over. The generation behind me has no idea how lucky they are they won’t have to do that. How much money could I have saved by only buying the songs I liked instead of the entire bloody album? The end result is that I currently have over 2,000 songs on my phone, which I consider a pretty substantial collection.


Why do I have so much music on my phone? That’s because I used to be a musician. I went to music college years ago, I played in several bands, I toured a little, and I even taught for a period of time. Heaven forbid I write a cliché, but the truth is that music truly is my first love. It’s literally my oldest memory. I listen to music every day. Music is my meditation.

My collection is diverse. I’d even say that I’m musically schizophrenic. This is because I grew up with parents who are polar opposites musically. My mom listened to TOP 40, Elvis, Motown, and whatever was current at that time. My dad, on the other hand, listened to jazz, and singer-songwriters like John Prine. Their musical diversity is, in part, why my phone contains the likes of 80s music, Stevie Wonder, Metallica; Bruno Mars, Sinatra, and Garth Brooks to name a few.

What I listen to on a particular day depends on what sounds good at the time, or what makes me feel good. I can’t imagine my life without music. It’s my muse, my therapy, and like a good friend, it’s always there for me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Week #1: Kevin Schulte - Expertise Prompt

Blog 2 (posted on drop box on 7/22)

Blog #2