Blog #4 - Personal Hobby

I don't have hobbies, really. I mean, I used to collect Pokemon cards back in the day, but I stopped after I became a first-generation Pokemon Master. By the time I got to high school, I started to focus on being a social butterfly. After high school however, I was blessed by the greatest invention to ever grace the airwaves.
RuPaul's Drag Race premiered in 2009. I got to see what drag is and could be. Here in Texas, pageant style drag is everywhere and prominent. But with RPDR, I got see how many different styles of drag there is. Punk, goth, realness, showgirl, spook, camp and comedy are just a few styles that exist within the drag world. Well after this discovery, I began practicing makeup and seeing what I could do.
In the beginning, I looked like a mess. I'm talking Anna Nicole Smith presenting at the 2004 American Music Awards type of mess. I began to slowly amass a collection of makeup. MAC foundations, Jeffree Star highlighters, Anastasia Beverly Hills contour kits and Kylie Cosmetics lip kits, these are a few of my favorite thing. Sorry, I thought I was starring in The Sound of Music, again. My bad.
Anyway, makeup is amazing. I can best compare it to knitting. It relaxes me and clears my mind. When I get stressed out, I can find my focus by shutting down and going into autopilot for about an hour.
I didn't get good at it until I was cast in a musical as a drag queen in 2016. I learned how to step up my game for the show because I wasn't going look like a booger on stage. But during this time, I learned that I actually like painting other people's faces more than my own.
I gained so much confidence in my skills by learning that I can take a good looking man and make him a into a handsome lady.
Take a look at this video I made of my friend Ken. I did his makeup and asked him what he loves about drag.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Week #1: Kevin Schulte - Expertise Prompt

Blog 2 (posted on drop box on 7/22)

Blog #2